EASY Gluten Free Vegan Cornbread!
Cornbread! One of those things that I thought I would forever have to miss out on when ditching the meat and dairy. Boy was I wrong! Cornbread isn’t something I make often but sometimes you just HAVE to have it. Like with a big bowl of cozy chili, for instance. But Cornbread can be pretty polarizing, no? Are you a sweet cornbread person or a more savory cornbread person? I like a little bit of sugar but not much. My husband, on the other hand, smothers his cornbread in loads of butter and jam! To each his own, I suppose! This recipe came about after looking for a good recipe but being seriously let down. All I could find were recipes with lots of oil and sugar and I wanted to try and find something a little healthier. After I couldn’t find anything I decided to whip up my own version so here we are!
This is such an easy recipe with simple ingredients! Let Trader Joe’s or Bob’s RED MILL do the hard part for you here and get a pre-mixed gluten free flour! To replace the oil that is traditionally in cornbread recipes, I used applesauce. This is the perfect replacement because applesauce, although it is unsweetened, does still add some sweetness so you can add LESS sugar then you might normally.
This is fluffy and moist and perfect drenched in your big bowl of chili or smothered with butter and jam. I bet if you added some of those jalapenos and maybe some vegan cheddar in the mix it’d be pretty freaking amazing too!
One thing I did see repeatedly in my recipe search was preheating your pan or skillet then coating in oil or butter to make for a super crispy outside. Now while this is NOT necessary, I highly recommend it because that extra little crunch before you get to the soft and crumbly inside is SO GOOD.
Gluten Free Vegan Cornbread (Oil-free too!)
Moist and perfectly sweet cornbread perfect for soups, stews, or just on its own!
- 1 1/4 Cup Cornmeal
- 3/4 Cup Gluten Free Flour
- 2 TBS Coconut Sugar
- 1 TBS Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/3 Cup Almond Milk
- 2 Flax Eggs (2 TBS flaxmeal + 5 TBS warm water, let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- Preheat oven to 375 (Opt: Preheat oven to 425 and place your skillet or pan in the oven. Before you pour your batter in, take your pan out and coat with 1 TBS oil or butter. Lower temp to 375 to bake)
- Whisk together your dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, combine your wet ingredients making sure the flax eggs have had a chance to sit for about 5 minutes or so.
- Combine your wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Bake for 25 minutes, top with butter, jam, or soak in your soup!
Whether you are a sweet cornbread person or not, I think you’ll really enjoy this recipe! And if you do I’d love to hear about it! Make a batch of your own, post it on Instagram and tag me so I can see your creation! #plantbasedplanner @plantbasedplanner